22 February 2009

sunday mtp minute

Internet has arrived at my domicile! I have joined the 21st century!

And on that note, I am trying to set up a more stable routine of posting since I will have access to the interwebs at all times of day. In that vein, I introduce:

The Sunday MTP Minute: a quick summary of my thoughts stemming from the day's episode.

Without further ado, the 23 February edition:

- Gov. Bobby "targeted, temporary" Jindal made the Party of No's case for, well, their no-ness and his decision to turn down some of the billions of dollars headed his state's way from the stimulus bill. He must have uttered the phrase "targeted, temporary" at least 10 times, making it seem like the stimulus is a willy-nilly, long-lasting spending bill. While there are some questionable provisions in the bill, it is certainly targeted in many respects and the money is not going to flow forever, so it is definitely temporary. I am sure Gov. Jindal isn't too worried about explaining to the thousands of unemployed in his state why he is rejecting $100 million in unemployment assistance - they most likely don't lie in his voter base anyway.

- Gov. Charlie Crist made the case FOR the stimulus bill, coming from a state where the monies are desperately needed. I appreciated his bipartisan tone, but I certainly saw his political future in the Republican Party flashing before his eyes as he expressed strong support for the stimulus. Best of luck to you sir, as you fend off the rabid anti-stimulus dogs of your party.

David Gregory match rating: 8.0
Mr. Gregory asked some tough questions, essentially forming the debate between Govs. Jindal and Crist without actually having the two duke it out. A solid outing.

No comments: