08 June 2008

usa - argentina

Sorry for all of the soccer posts as of late, but with the Euros going on and really not that much else taking place in my life, there really isn't much else to talk about.

Sadly, I wasn't able to enjoy today's Euro '08 as much as I would have liked due to a combination of shambolic transmission from my best friends at Comcast and me wasting a lot of time showing my computer illiterate cousin how to burn dvds from his girlfriend's laptop. I am ok with people being computer illiterate (if you are over 40), but what really irks me is when people fill up their generic PC computing box with a lot of generic bullshit spyware nonsense (those stupid search engine bars in IE and animated cursors, terrible). So helping involves a number of hurdles, such as overcoming the fact that your cursor is actually a fucking "I <3 NY" icon and you have filled up your hard drive with adware doodoo. Nice.

But I digress.

Highlight of the day was definitely the USA-Argentina match that I was able to watch without illiterate interruption. Here are some of the things that I liked (+) and didn't like (-) about the match:

+ Gago and Dempsey getting pissy with each other and trading words and fouls in the first half.
+ Eddie Johnson apparently yanking Mascherano's johnson in the second half... much to Javier's chagrin.
- the fact that Argentina continue to be one of the more hideous national sides in the world. Its almost as if they outcrossed Carles Puyol and a thawed Neanderthal to produce the team. (Reference exhibits A, B, and C.)
- refereeing worthy of UVA IMs instead of a FIFA governed international friendly. Who in their right mind could confuse Edu and Mastroeni?
- lackluster American commentary... Aguero plays in the Spanish Primera Liga, or La Liga, not "the Spanish League", that league does not exist. Thanks.
+ a gritty, impressive showing from the Americans (Man of the Match is Tim Howard for me) against a solid Argentina side.


Euro 2008 match prediction success rate: 100% (4 for 4... look for this to take a hit with tomorrow's group of death matches)

1 comment:

Tyler said...

Just a quick thought: Had this match been in Argentina and not New York, and had the referee confused two Argentines and not two Americans resulting in one being sent off, that mf-er would have been shot by midnight. Similarly, my thoughts on the match are detailed in a post titled "Look at that glorious World Cup." "Adu me on it!"