07 June 2008

euro thoughts

The tournament began today, and not a day too soon because I was getting tired of the only thing going on in the soccer world being transfer rumors. I enjoyed both games, and figured I would share my thoughts about each one.

Switzerland 0 - 1 Czech Republic
- Some countries have extremely trifling national anthems. The Czech Republic is one of them. "Where is My Homeland?" asks a question to which the answer is clearly "somewhere behind the Iron Curtain of old", because it sounds like a straight up soviet dirge. Terrible.
- Speaking of national anthems, instead of having the typical, you know, Swiss-looking person singing it, they had what appeared to be a gypsy in a swiss miss red dress. At least it was a respectable tune.
- Philippe Senderos is a clown in "defense". One of his best moves of the day was when he closed his legs to prevent an imminent megging, just to be dribbled around instead. Good job.
- Jan Koller is an absolute lurch of a man. He lacks the spindly, awkward qualities that at least make Peter Crouch entertaining to watch.

Portugal 2 - 0 Turkey
- Whoa, am I playing FIFA? No, thats just Andy Gray commentating on a real life match!
- All bias aside, the new generation of Nike uniforms are a little tight fitting for my taste... I saw a little more nipple outlines from both teams than I would care to see.
- I could have sworn this was a sneak preview of the games in Beijing, but not of the soccer competition. No, no, I thought the team diving competition had begun a few months early. Both teams were guilty of some rather mediocre acting in this respect, chief among all being the antithesis-of-handsome Tuncay Sanli.
- I wish ESPN would quit trying to provide American coverage of the tournament and just patch through telecasts from an English-speaking country that has sportscasters who know what the fuck is going on. Julie Foudy is a sweetheart, but I would even take the squad over at FSC over this.


Euro 2008 match prediction success rate: 100%



Thats all for today, I think I am going to Outback with my parents now. Oh, and Clinton conceded today... could this day get any better?

No comments: